So the top story of the day is about ‘entrenched inequality’, carefully and cleverly constructed words to replacing (favoured British tactic) negativity of entrenched institutional, systemic and national racism by native White brits towards the BAME (British Asian and Minority Ethnics).
Below are some of the major media reporting approach to the report released today (Thurs 18 Aug 2016) by Equality and Human Right Commission (EHRC), a government-funded ‘watchdog’.
[a] For Guardian-take: (paper uses ‘deep-rooted inequalities’) – https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/aug/18/human-rights-watchdog-urgent-action-deep-rooted-inequality
[c] The Independent (‘race-based inequalities entrenched’): http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/inequality-britain-black-ethnic-equality-murder-prosecution-stop-and-search-a7196046.html
[d] Deutsche-Welle (DW English): http://www.dw.com/en/uk-body-calls-for-urgent-action-to-tackle-racial-inequality/a-19481335
[f] Finally and perhaps the most propaganda-presentation which uses a number of old tricks to ‘debate and reframe the serious issue’ is BBC;
(f.1) refusal to use the words ‘entrenched racism’, ‘national racism’, ‘institutional racism’ etc (that is of course the establishment-funded/state-run propaganda mouthpiece the BBC). Listen to Radio 4 Today programme at 8am (for 20 mins or so) as they interview EHRC new head who was former government adviser for David Cameron (mmm, hence the use of the words ‘entrenched inequalities’ not racism). (f.2) As presenter and interviewer Mr Charlotte Green one (as DIRECTED BY THE ORGANISATION):
- keeps blaming (as favoured present tactic) ‘racial relations’ in UK today on, guess (drums), BREXIT!!!! What the f**** does Brexit have to do with systemic and national, generational and cultural attitudes and behaviour towards race; in other words British Racism!???
- then her (and corporation) attempts to reduce and divert the issue and debate (racism in UK) to bottom-issues on race namely ‘rise of Islamophobia’ after (again) Brexit etc instead of accepting to discuss the top level of national racism towards BAMEs.
- All these efforts to divert and reduce in importance and levels of analysis and debate then comes with a warning from presenter and corporation: ‘Let us be careful in way how we characterize the nation’ , she says (reading what she has been told, good girl)
- Then she asks ‘is it background and not ethnicity that creates these inequalities’ at this point I shouted, are you for real???. Of course a Westminster-based champagne-chucking freeloading on taxpayers overpaid propaganda and apologists for their masters will say so when isolated and removed from the real world and defend their masters. The question here I would love to ask these mouthpieces is How many BAMEs social friends do you have?
- Well by 9am news headlines on same radio station the issue was no longer ‘first/opening’ headline but removed to the end, and one might guess by 6pm news it will be all gone (after no serious debates).
In short, the report and how it has been treated is nothing new: here is my old post of this entrenched Racism in UK based on old Victorian attitudes (https://highfieldsoffice.wordpress.com/2013/02/11/victorian-minds-a-brief-history-of-british-racial-attitudes-towards-the-coloured-races/) and you can read more e.g.;